A Guide To Entertain All Of Your Guests With Yard Games
The backyard is the ideal location for a wedding in the summertime. It’s a beautiful setting, with plenty of room to accommodate all of your guests. The downside, however, is that it can be difficult to keep everyone entertained when the weather is nice and hot outside. And when you have a smaller venue like your backyard, entertainment is key. The last thing you want is for your guests to have idle time, not quite sure of what to do. This is where backyard games come into play! Here are our top backyard games to play at your wedding to entertain your guests and make your big day more enjoyable.
Why your backyard wedding should have games.
Backyard games are a great way to entertain your guests while they enjoy the sights and sounds of your backyard. Plus, backyard games can also emphasize your wedding day theme or overall vibe. When you choose your backyard for the venue on your wedding day, there is a more casual atmosphere, no matter how upscale the wedding may be. This is why backyard games are perfect for your big day.
One of the best things about backyard games is that they entertain your guests for you. They are great to have set up during cocktail hour and your reception. This means you will not be the absolute center of attention. They will have things to do of their own. This means you’ll be free to make the rounds as you see fit while leaving your guest entertained and having fun! The yard games we’ve outlined below will make it easy for everyone to stay active on the day of your wedding, but will also allow them to relax and enjoy the party.
The Best Yard Games for a backyard wedding
The backyard games below are perfect for any backyard wedding. From competitive games to classic games, you’ll be sure to find the perfect game for your guests to participate in. These games can also be easily set up, made, or found online! Explore our favorites and see which ones may work best for you!
- Bocce Ball: This is an easy and fun game that can be played by all ages and skill levels.
- Corn hole: Corn hole is the perfect game for smaller spaces like a backyard, because it requires less space than other traditional games like horseshoes or bocce ball. It’s also a fun way to get people involved in the victory celebrations! If you don’t already own a corn hole set, check out this wedding day themed set on Amazon!
- Jenga: This classic game is tons of fun and is great for all ages and skill levels! You can set up Jenga on high tops and cocktail tables for your guest to enjoy.
- Giant Jenga: Have a larger backyard? Then grab this giant Jenga set! All of your guests will be entertained while they watch their favorite player take home the win!
- Giant Connect Four: If you have enough room, then this giant Connect Four board would be perfect for your backyard wedding. It’s a passive game that your guest can enjoy while also carrying on a conversation.
- Giant Rummikub: If you have even more space, opt for a giant Rummikub board set to keep everyone busy during any downtime at the wedding!
- Croquet: If you’re looking for a backyard game with a mix of flare and classy to compliment your theme, consider croquet! You can set up a croquet course throughout your backyard to make it entertaining for guests while also providing ambiance to the setting.
Every backyard wedding will have a different overall vibe. Be sure to choose backyard wedding games that complement your big day. You can have multiple games. Try setting up a few smaller games on tables or in different seating areas. Leave your main backyard space for larger games like corn hole and giant Jenga. And if you want to make things really fun, consider a scoreboard for your guests!
Backyard Wedding Games For Kids
If your backyard wedding will have a handful of younger children, then you will want to prepare a few games just for them! This will help entertain the kids while also allowing the parents to enjoy your wedding as well. Consider games and activities for kids, like coloring books, blocks, small toy fishing ponds, and ball pits!
It also may help to dedicate a specific area in your yard for kid games. This will allow parents to better keep an eye on the kids while also having fun for themselves! Plus, this lets the kids play and entertain one another as well!
how to encourage your guests to play yard games
Are you unsure if your guest will partake in playing yard games? Don’t worry this is normal. Sometimes guests just need a little encouragement before they roll up their sleeves and start enjoying the party. You want to ensure everyone is having a good time at the wedding and enjoying your hard efforts. Here are a few ways to get the ball rolling and encourage your guests to play backyard games.
The best way to get your guests involved in the backyard games is by giving them some incentive to play. The most common way to do this would be to offer food and drink. You could also offer prizes for the winners. Another option is to create a competition between teams of friends or families who are playing in the yard games. These kinds of competitions make it more fun and interesting while also giving participants a chance to win something special.
How To start planning your backyard games
What is a backyard wedding without games? From croquet to corn hole, to hot potato, yard games are a great way to get people up and moving at your wedding. Plus, your backyard atmosphere is the perfect setting for casual and fun games like these. Keep in mind a lot of wedding venues do not allow games to be brought in. Having yard games could be a fun, new experience for your guests, different than any other wedding they’ve attended.
There is a whole gamut of yard games that you can play at your backyard wedding. To start planning what games to include at your wedding, ask yourself a few questions. What type of game are you looking for? Do you have a lot of space? Are you looking for more passive games or friendly competition? Of course, these questions will help you find the perfect game for your wedding.
And if you need help organizing your yard game ideas even further, we have that for you too! Download our free Notion board template for backyard brides and start carefully planning all the details like these for your big day! Our template is completely free to use and allows you to schedule tasks, organize to-do lists and brainstorm fun ideas to make your backyard wedding a dream!